Monday, August 6, 2007

Joshua 5

OK, so we start with the lovely tale of the "hill of foreskins" (which is, apparently, what this place Gibeath Haaraloth translates to). I was thankful for the explanation given because I couldn't figure out why Joshua would have to circumsize Israel AGAIN. Now I get it. All the circumsized guys had died, so these were a bunch of young upstarts...except not so young that they'd EVER forget circumcision. Ouch. I'm not even a guy and...ouch! I love that the text mentions they didn't go on til they were fully healed. Heh.

But just as Israel was now marked physically for God, another mark was removed. The giving of manna (and quail, I assume?) finally ceased and Israel was able to partake of the land given them. I wonder how glorious that produce tasted!

No more getting up in the morning and saying "What is it?" (manna?). Hmmm, I wonder if any of them were disappointed.

No comments: