Monday, April 28, 2008

Sunday School

One of the things that irks me about traditional churches is Sunday School. I don't really see the point of it. If the teaching is good in-service (and ours certainly is, yay), why do we go for an hour of lukewarm, out-of-a-book lessons? It's like having a crappy burger from McDonald's and then a giant feast!

The other thing that bugs me about SS is the whole age-segregation thing. I've witnessed this in both the Brethren and a few Baptist churches so I know it crosses denominational lines. Who decided that classes should be age-segregated? What inevitably happens is that I don't "fit" anywhere.

When my husband and I first had children, we were in our 20s. We certainly didn't fit in the 20s class because most of them were single or newly married with no plans for children. We were OK with that, but the church determined that we should really not be in that class. So they bumped us up to the 30s. Except even in the 30s, the people who were there had babies/infants or no children. They didn't like that we had preschoolers. So...we got bumped to the 40s. Except the 40s didn't really welcome us once they found out how old we were!

My experiences since my separation and divorce have been kinda similar. If I go to my age-appropriate Sunday School class, I'm in with a bunch of married couples! Usually the prescribed lessons touch on marital intimacy or something I don't want to hear about. So what's a girl to do?

No comments: